Dental Cleaning & Periodontal Care
A dental cleaning involves the removal of dental plaque from teeth with the intention of preventing cavities, gingivitis, and periodontal disease. People routinely care for their own teeth by brushing and flossing, but dental hygienists here in Plano, Texas can remove hardened deposits (tartar) you are not able to remove by routine cleaning.
Dental cleanings and exams
At Cox Family Dentistry are two of the most basic yet important preventive treatments we provide at our office. Each time you visit our dental practice for a checkup, we will provide professional teeth cleaning and dental exam to help your smile stay healthy. During your teeth cleaning and exam, our dental team will:
- Clean your teeth by removing any plaque or tartar (also called dental calculus), which can lead to tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Floss and polish your teeth for a healthy, bright smile.
- Examine your smile for signs of any damaging dental conditions or diseases.
In addition to gently, but thoroughly cleaning your teeth, our registered dental hygienists will also assess the health of your gums and provide personalized instruction to maximize the effectiveness of your homecare between visits.
We work to maintain the overall health of your mouth, including your gums. To avoid advancement in periodontal (gum) disease, practice good oral hygiene, eat a balanced diet, and attend regularly scheduled dental appointments.
If there is any pain or discomfort surrounding your teeth or gums, it is strongly recommended that you visit a dentist immediately.
What is Periodontal disease
Periodontal disease is a serious issue for not only your oral health but your overall health. Here are some of the things that can cause periodontal disease:
- Bad habits like smoking.
- Lack of hygiene habits; poor brushing and flossing on a regular basis.
- A family history of periodontal disease.
- Certain medications that affect oral health.
- Cancer, HIV, or other serious illnesses that affect the overall health of your body.
- Changes in your hormone levels.